Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pearls before swine

Last weekend I was in New York tipping cabs rather than trapping moths so I was (rather nerdily) looking forward to putting the trap out again last night after the break. Within seconds of turning on the lights I managed to pot a pearlescent beauty! Despite my high hopes for a good haul of moths I woke at 5.45am to the sound of pouring rain and ended up racing out to switch off the trap rather earlier than hoped. Luckily the "Ratface USA" held up well in the weather - not surprisingly, the soggy egg boxes contained nothing more than one poor dull little moth (see below) and a dopey black beetle.

Pretty shiny pinks and creams - I love this mystery moth!
Showing its beautiful pearlescent wings in the sunshine
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess?
Perhaps this one has a good sense of humour.

1 comment: